Any dental treatment requires aftercare procedures. For instance, if under a root canal therapy and the process is yet to be treated, the aftercare would be to minimize the amount of chewing on the area that is to be repaired to prevent complications. Once the treatment is complete, your tooth will feel numb for several days as the natural inflammation of the tissue is occurring. You can minimize the swelling through over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen. Most of the patients who have undergone Root canals treatment can get back to their regular activities the following day.
- Over the counter, medicines such as ibuprofen can minimize pain. Ibuprofen is a type of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that is known to relieve pain.
- If the patient is NSAID or aspirin-sensitive, an alternative would be Acetaminophen or Tylenol.
- If the pain persists, your dental professional may prescribe a prescription drug. It is also likely that there is a remnant infection.
The likelihood of disease is rare, mainly if the procedure is successful. If there is an infection, here are some things that can be done:
The patient is likely to be prescribed antibiotics to get rid of the infection.
If the infection persists, your dental expert will reopen, cleanse, and re-seal the root canal.
Take a closer look at saving and restoring a tooth with Dental Crowns.
Read tooth brushing.
Temporary Crown Care Tips:
Your tooth is unprotected without a permanent crown. Avoid biting on the area of the mouth that is being treated to avoid complications.
Patients should eat solid foods only when the doctor advises it.
Eat only soft foods until you are ready. Eating crunchy or hard foods increases the probability of damaging the temporary filling. Hard foods can break the tooth.
Brush your teeth gently.
Be extra careful when brushing on the area to be treated. Do not force the brushing of your teeth and take your time. It will take a while before you get used to flossing around the temporary filling. Take your time to floss, and don’t rush it. If you are having difficulty flossing or brushing your teeth, contact your dental professional to reshape it if needed.
Treat discomfort as soon as possible.
Unlike before, root canals aren’t as problematic as they used to be. Most dental professionals will use sedation dentistry to ensure that the treatment won’t hurt. After the procedure, someone should accompany you or drive you at home if the tooth hurts, except for the pain to stop after several hours.
The Importance of Aftercare
Aftercare is crucial as it affects the result of the treatment. Those who have undergone a root canal procedure should follow treatment guides laid out to you to have a speedy and problem-free recovery.
- Ten-year survival of pressed, acid-etched e.max lithium disilicate monolithic and bilayered complete-coverage restorations (2019) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2018.11.024
- Fracture-resistant monolithic dental crowns. (2016)