Clear Braces in Newport Beach
Safe & Affordable Teeth Straightening Options
Clear braces, also referred to as ceramic braces, are very effective in closing teeth gaps and correcting teeth alignment by shifting the teeth to the desired positions. They can also fix malocclusions including underbites, overbites, and crossbites. As for more complex dental cases, headgear may be needed.
Our team at Newport Smiles can help you find the solutions you’re looking for. Contact us today to learn more about your options for Newport Beach clear ceramic braces.
Why Ceramic Braces?
A lot of people, especially teenagers, hesitate to use braces because they often think about the metal brackets attached to the teeth which are not very pleasing to the eye. However, thanks to the advancements in modern orthodontics, there are now less conspicuous options in straightening the teeth such as clear braces. The brackets used in clear braces are still made of metal. However, they can either be silver or tooth-colored. Several colored elastic bands are utilized to fasten the archwire to the brackets. The bands can be the color of your choice and can even be matched to the natural color of your teeth to make them more discreet. With the durability of metal and cosmetic benefits, ceramic braces are one of the best available choices in modern orthodontics that effectively fixes teeth misalignment without compromising the patient’s outer appearance during treatment.
How Ceramic Braces Work
Similar to metal braces, clear braces fix teeth misalignment in the same manner. The metal archwire is made from stainless steel which can be tooth-colored or silver in color. The archwire exerts pressure on each tooth via the brackets which are made of ceramic materials. The level of pressure can be adjusted by the orthodontist as he deems fit for the desired teeth movement. Orthodontic bands are then attached to either hold the ceramic brackets or bond them directly to the teeth. Elastic bands are used to fasten the brackets to the metal archwire.
As the teeth shift, the applied force is released. Ceramic braces are generally customized for the patient’s teeth. They are made after taking dental impressions of the teeth. By doing so, the new teeth’ alignment will be prevented from turning back to their initial alignment. A regular dental visit is required for the readjustment of the archwire as well as to make sure that there are no other issues. This process continues for at least 1 to 4 years. The duration of the treatment mainly depends on the patient’s age as well as the complexity of the patient’s dental condition. Once the desired outcome has been achieved, the patient will be advised to wear either a plastic retainer or a tooth guard for a specific period to maintain the new alignment of the teeth.
Taking Care of Ceramic Braces
Ceramic braces are not as robust or strong as metallic braces. They are also more expensive. As a result, they will require a higher level of care than is necessary for metal braces.
The following recommendations are important:
- Foods to avoid: The reason for choosing clear or white ceramic braces is that they are not very conspicuous. You chose ceramic braces (white or clear) because they are not conspicuous. Therefore, it is very important to avoid foods that stain the porous components, such as the bands which attach the brackets to the arch wire. It is important for you to avoid liquor, tobacco, berries, coffee, mustard, tomato products, dark sodas, and foods high in artificial coloring.
- Oral hygiene: It is necessary for you to maintain regular oral hygiene habits. There is a greater risk for plaque formation due to the structure of the braces. An effective oral hygiene program should include: flossing twice a day, brushing and rinsing your mouth vigorously after eating. All of these steps will help you to avoid tooth decay. In addition, a special interdental toothbrush may be recommended by your dentist.
- Regular checkup visits: Dentists can see things that you cannot see. It is, therefore, essential that all patients have regular checkups every six months. This will allow your dentist to clean those areas of your teeth which you can’t, no matter how hard you try.
- Avoid whitening toothpaste: Whitening toothpastes should not be used during the period that you are wearing braces. They can leave dark patches under the braces and may chemically affect the color of the brackets. It is also important that drinking and smoking be avoided by adults and adolescents while undergoing orthodontic treatment.
Pros & Cons of Ceramic Braces
Clear braces have become extremely popular with both teenagers and adults due to various reasons. However, just like the other orthodontic treatments, they also have their own disadvantages. Review the following to know more about the benefits and limitations of ceramic braces.
The following are the advantages of ceramic braces compared to other types of braces:
- Appearance: Aesthetic considerations are the primary reason for the choice of ceramic braces. They are less conspicuous than metallic braces. The ceramic brace brackets can be tooth-colored ceramic for darker teeth or semi-translucent for whiter teeth.
- Minimal irritation: Ceramic braces do not irritate the gums as lingual invisible braces do. As a result, they are usually less painful for the patient.
Drawbacks of ceramic braces include:
- Cost: The cost of ceramic braces is much higher than traditional braces and many patients can not afford them.
- Staining: The ceramic brace ligatures are white or clear. Therefore, they may stain quickly, if the patient is not careful to avoid stain-causing foods.
- Strength: If the patient is subject to extreme stresses, ceramic braces are not recommended since the brackets have the potential to crack. Therefore, patients who have severe improper bites or serious tooth misalignment should not get ceramic braces.
Patients with extremely white teeth are often advised to use clear or sapphire braces. This is because they are discreet and are best suited to match the color of natural teeth. Furthermore, they have the same durability as metal braces and do not normally cause stains nor discoloration. The ligatures, however, have a chance to cause stains if the patient drinks coffee, red wine, or smokes.
Cost of Ceramic Braces
Clear braces tend to be more costly compared to other orthodontic braces due to their discreet features. Typically, the price for ceramic braces is around $4000 to $8000 compared to the price for traditional metal braces which is estimated to be around $300 to $7000. The cost will also depend on the severity of the patient’s dental condition. Although ceramic braces are more expensive, due to them being less conspicuous, more and more patients are getting inclined in choosing this type of orthodontic treatment.
State of the Art Technology
Convenient Scheduling & Available for Emergencies
Sedation Options Available to Ease Anxiety
Comforting & Welcoming Environment
“Have been getting treated for my Invisalign's under Doc. Puri for over a year and can surely say she is a great doctor in every possible way. I have had my parents and friends come in here as well. The entire team at Newport Smiles is extremely skilled and”- Ishaan C.
Great experience overall! I’m sure I can relate like many others when I say I never enjoy going to the dentist. But I must say I look forward to my next visit here!” - Susana G.
“This is the first dentist I have liked since becoming an adult. Dr. Puri is just so amazing! She is so sweet and gentle and I just couldn’t ask for a better dentist! This place is top-notch and I would recommend to everyone i know!”- Taylor W.